Terms & Conditions
- World Palm Portraits Award Competition (the ‘Competition’) is organized by Malaysian Palm Oil Council (MPOC).
- The Competition starts on 1st July, 2021 at 00:00 am and will run until 20th December, 2021 at 23:59 pm (Malaysia Time Zone GMT +8)
- The Competition is open to both local and international aged 18 and above as of 1st July, 2021 from either the amateur or professional, individual or representative of any Photography Club and agencies.
- Participants may choose either to enter all themes or at least one (1) out of five (6) listed themes.
- 6 themes will be given to participants and will be divided into 5 months during the competition period with 1 theme and theme for each month. Participants are free to choose to participate in all themes or only choose a specific theme with a maximum submission limit of 10 photos for each theme.
- Participants are required to use a digital camera (at least 6 megapixels) and images taken using a mobile phone or PDA will not be accepted. The minimum size of the image file is not less than 5MB (minimum resolution of 300 dpi), and only ‘JPG/JPEG’ formatted photos will be accepted.
- Each participant may submit up to 10 photos for each theme and will submit only in high-resolution photo via online platform that will be provided by our IT team.
- All submissions must be related to the palm oil industry and will portray the benefits and good image from the plantation to manufacturing and from the raw materials to the end products.
- Only the official online entry form is valid for the participation and all the entry process can be done at our official website. https://www.worldpalmportraits.org/
- The Organiser reserves the right to change these “Terms and Conditions” at any time without notice to the “Participant.” The “Participant” is therefore responsible for regularly reviewing these “Terms and Conditions.” Continued participation of this “Competition” following any such changes shall constitute the “Participant’s” acceptance of such changes.
- Malaysian Palm Oil Council’s employees, their immediate family, and anyone else connected to the administration and execution of the “Competition ” may take part in this contest but they are not eligible to win any prizes..
- Please read these terms and conditions carefully. By accessing this Competition , Participants signify their agreement with and understanding of the following Terms and Conditions and the legal information pertaining to both this Competition and any material on it. If Participants do not agree to these “Terms and Conditions,” please do not participate in this competition.
IMAGE OWNERSHIP AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
- By entering an image, the “Participant” attests that he or she produced the image and is the rightful owner to the copyright of the image. “Participants” entering images not belonging to them will be disqualified.
- THIS IS A JOINT COPYRIGHT COMPETITION. By entering an image, the “Participant” agrees to grant MPOC and its partners and affiliates full access to use the image (without any consent) including but not limited to promotion of the “Competition” and any future “Competition”, online, in print, on television, within Malaysia and internationally. “Participant” will also have the rights to use the submitted photos for other usage as long as it does not violate any agreements between “Participant” and “Organiser”.
- By entering an image, the “Participant” attests that the image is not subjected to any form of existing exclusive commercial or editorial license.
- Model or property releases are required for images.
- Images previously entered in other competitions and contests are acceptable so long as submission does not violate any existing agreements, terms and conditions etc. already in force from the prior competitions.
- The Organiser reserves its sole right and discretion to delete, remove, ignore or reject photos that are deemed improper or offensive in any manner, or which violate the “Terms and Conditions”.
- The Organiser’s decision is final. No correspondence or any other form of communication regarding the “Contest” will be entertained
CONTEST THEMES, JUDGES & WINNERS ANNOUNCEMENT DATE
Food & Products
A wide application of palm oil in food and non-food products as well as the utilisation of biomass into valuable by-products is a clear indication of its high value. The advantages of palm oil includes its nutritional content (vitamin E, free of trans fat and cholesterol) excellent frying properties, and ability to prolong the shelf life of manufactured products as it is oxidative resistant.
Palm-based oleochemicals used in non-food products such as cosmetics and personal care, provide moisturising action, facilitate the removal of dirt or oil, and prevent separation of water and oil. Being of vegetable-origin, they are made from sustainable sources and have superior biodegradation characteristics, unlike petrochemicals. A ‘still life’ photo can also be in the theme.
Examples of photos: Food, Skincare, Cosmetics, Toiletries, Household Stuff, Factory production of products
Sawit is a Malay word that means ‘palm’, which refers to both the tree, oil palm, and the product, palm oil. The oil palm is a generous plant, the highest yielding oil crop with versatile oil uses besides food. Naturally, palm oil has become a substantial source of income for Malaysia and other palm oil producing countries. Being part of the lives of many while offering various economic, environmental, culinary and health benefits – it is truly a divine blessing for humankind.
All these can be translated through the expressions and identity of the individual or collective people and portraits that are related to the palm oil industry or subject. A lifestyle concept that will portray the important role of palm oil in everyday life
By using the power of imagination, a combination of photos and computer graphics design, translate mind creativity to digital illustration. No limits of layering, and concept must be related to Palm Oil.
Examples of photos: Photo and graphic design, conceptual design and digital manipulative design using Palm Oil products or subject matter as canvas or layering.
BLACK & WHITE
Only specific for the submission of Black & White concept photos, from any subject or object related to Palm Oil.
NATURE & LIVING CREATURES
This particular theme can be interpreted in many ways including animals, insects, or other living creatures which are in the oil palm farmland or plantation areas, or the majestic landscape view of the plantations. Or, it can creatively focus on living creatures in relation to palm-based products.
Examples of photos: Landscapes, Wildlife, Flora and Fauna
SMALL FARMERS & FIELD WORK
More than 450,000 small farmers are part of the Malaysian palm oil industry. This is their source of livelihood, the way to a better future with education opportunities for their children. These small farmers, and many more around the world are benefiting considerably from the palm oil industry.
Balancing economic pursuit and environmental conservation, Malaysia has a credible and internationally recognised national palm oil certification scheme, promoting sustainable management of oil palm in Malaysia, called Malaysian Sustainable Palm Oil (MSPO).
Capture the expressions and identity of the small farmers, individual or collective workers in relation to the oil palm farmland, plantation, palm oil production, etc. While portraiture typically focuses on the face, emotions and stories can be shown in other ways as well.